Sunday, September 23, 2007

Computer Challenge

Hello,

This is actually a paper I had to write for school, I had to write a story about something that really challenged me. I did get my laptop working, now I have to use an external monitor on it, but at least it is usable. Now on with my story.

The most challenging learning experience for me would be computers. They absolutely fascinate me, although there was a time when I did not feel that way. When I got my first computer, I didn’t know how to turn one on. With the help of friends and neighbours, I soon figured out how to work the basics of the computer. But something wasn’t right. Even though I was new at it, I was having troubles that I did not believe was my fault. After calling numerous times to the place where I bought my new computer and them finding nothing wrong, I started on a road I never dreamed I would be going down.

Two months after buying my computer I started researching them. I was reading any article on trouble shooting or problems that I could find. I was still having trouble with my computer and still getting the same answer. Finally I decided I had read and tried enough to know it was not just me. I decided to call a licensed computer technician to come to my house and look at mine. Low and behold, my new computer had big troubles. Feeling confident, I called the computer guy one last time. When he answered I explained (with a self satisfied smirk on my face) what I had done. Then I promptly put the technician on the phone. By the end of the conversion I had a full refund coming my way, and a new computer ordered from the computer technician.

Now this should have been the end of my story, but things just are not that simple for me. The first night I received my second new computer, it started freezing up. After almost a month of waiting, I found out that the video card was not compatible with the system. That being fixed, I still had a couple glitches. So I started reading and experimenting with drivers and compatible hardware. Now I will tell you in all honesty, I wiped (reloaded the operating system) on my computer so many times it should have had a rash! But I wasn’t about to pay twenty five dollars an hour for someone to come fix it for me. Months later, after crashing and fixing and crashing my computer some more, I figured out the biggest problems with my new computer was the motherboard itself. The motherboard is the main board that everything else plugs into.

My new technician really didn’t believe me, and why should he, after all I was now only a few months into my computer learning, but he didn’t know the research I had done. After having my computer at his shop for a month, he finally decided I was right and he did replace the motherboard with a look of disbelief on his face. I had more problems with that same computer system for a long time, which made me weary about buying separate parts from him. I decided it was time to learn how to buy my own parts and get my brother to put them together for me.

Although I like the challenge of finding computer problems or reloading the operating system, I do not care for putting them together. I am sure I could learn if I wanted to, but that is the point, I really don’t want to, and for me that is a must.

After many mistakes, lots of learning, more frustration than I have ever experienced, I can pretty much maintain my new home built computer. I am still learning and have begun to understand some of the bios features and their settings. I have found a new reliable supplier, who has been a great help in explaining the many aspects of the computer that I still do not understand. Now I try to share my learning with others in the hope that they do not end up having an experience like I had. It has been over two years now since my first new computer, and now I am finally happy with my system. I only had to go through two not so great places to give me the inspiration I needed, to start me on the biggest learning experience of my life.

Now how was that for a story?
We should all remember we can learn to do the things we need to do.
We may not like having to do some things, or learning to change something so completely.
But in the end as with all things...it is the price of what we pay that keeps us learning!

Hope you all had a good Sunday,
Pixie:)

No comments: