Friday, November 16, 2007

Chickadee

Hello,

I had a very interesting encounter this morning with a Chickadee, I park my car in the back parking lot at work and started walking down the hill. About half way down a Chickadee flew about a foot in front of me singing his song as he went. I smiled at the closeness, and of his comfort being so close to me as he landed on a small branch as I walked by.

I continued my walk and within a few seconds this little bird again called out as he flew by and landed on another branch in front of me. I did pay attention a bit this time and looked directly at him, but for some reason I kept walking. This was strange because normally I would have stopped and chatted a bit with this wonderful creature.

I walked on and again this little bird flew by singing Chickadee Dee Dee, and again landed on a branch in front of me. This time I knew this bird wanted a little attention. I stopped and turned directly facing him and ask how he was this morning, he replied with his song and came closer to me on his branch.

I in return repeated his chickadee Dee Dee, this little wonder turned his head from side to side as if trying very hard to understand. He then sang yet again and moved very slowly to the end of his branch, keeping an eye on where I was. He then went to a pile of bird seed that was close by, he sang, and stood there looking at me but didn't eat.

I then said I wish I could understand what you were trying to tell me. Obviously he wasn't hungry as there was plenty of food there. This happening follow me all day, and I now wonder if this isn't one of the bird I had befriended before.

I know how strange that sounds, but he was so comfortable around me, and wanted to tell me something. This is the only explanation I have come up with so far. I stood and chatted a bit with him, and then headed back towards work. I looked back to see him then start to eat, but still watched me until I disappeared around the corner.

A short while ago I felt a return to nature and her wonders, but lately I have lost that feeling again. Maybe that was my wake up call to try and return to what once seemed so natural and right. I seem to have retreated into myself again, this is something I do by times. Maybe it is time to wake once again.

If nothing else it is defiantly food for thought, this is my second experience with birds lately. When I was in Lockport a few days ago I went for a walk at lunch time. Across from where I was is a school. There was plenty of children out and about and on my way all was as usual, however on the way back I noted something.

There were Seagulls flying around and I noticed two within the playground. A young girl around the age of 7 or 8 was watching these birds with interest, I stopped and watched this unfold.
This child walked towards the birds, one bird took off but the other just took a few steps away.

This girl again took some steps toward the bird, and again this bird took a few steps. I was fascinated that this child continued this games as the bird did. This went on for at least 5 minutes, finally the bird walked out an opening in the fenced in area. At this point the girl stopped and looked around the grounds, I noted she looked directly in the direction of the adults. She didn't notice me watching her, she again looked at the bird who stopped and was watching the girl as if waiting for her.

For me I began to worry that this child would go through the opening unnoticed. The girl scanned the area once more and slowly walked pass the opening and passed the bird. The bird just stood there watching her for a bit, and then flew away. I also noticed that now the adults were watching her, so I continued on thinking deeply about what just happen.

How determined that child was to catch that bird, it was almost like watching a battle of wills. This is another situation I am trying to understand, I find human behavior so interesting. What would be different to have made that girl go through that opening and possible be in danger. Was it her up bringing, her fear of being caught, or did she realized the more she followed this bird the more he would move away. This is a good question and one I am sure no one would agree on.

What does it all mean, I am not sure. Maybe it means nothing at all, maybe there is a lesson to be learned between the two stories. What I do know is that until I return to nature and follow her once again I won't understand...maybe it is time for me to walk through the opening of my mind and take a chance, and be as persistent as that Chickadee...and maybe stop following blindly and think about my actions?

Food for thought,
Pixies:)

No comments: